Sunday, March 8, 2009

The First Book Bugs



I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
Author: Karen Beaumont
Illustrator: David Catrow
Summary: The little artist in this book gets caught by his momma painting his the ceiling and the walls as well as himself. His momma tells him no more painting and stows away the paints in the cupboard. But the little painter says there " ain't no way that he ain't gonna paint no more" as he climbs up and retrieves his paints and as you will see continues to paint all over himself. This book has lots of fun colors and pictures. You may have to pull out the paints afterwards!

"One day my mama caught me paintin' pictures on the floor and the ceiling and the walls and the curtains and the door, and I heard my momma holler like I never did before.."

Ages: 2 and up
Use to Teach: Art, Colors, Parts of the body


How I Became a Pirate
Author: Melinda Long
Illustrator: David Shannon

Summary: Jeremy Jacob and his family are enjoying a normal day at the beach when he notices a pirates ship off in the distance. When the pirates land they ask Jeremy to join their crew because he is a good "digger", "a good one to boot!" As Jeremy sets off on his adventure he finds that the pirates do lots of things he likes but he also finds out they leave out a few things he misses. So raise your Jolly Roger and join Jeremy for a great pirate adventure.

"When they landed the head pirate climbed out of the boat and yelled, "Ahoy thar, matey! Be this the Spanish Main?" "No," I said, "this is North Beach." "Shiver me timbers!" the pirate said. "We must have taken a wrong turn at Bora Bora
Ages: 4-8
Use to teach: Pirates

Hip, Hip, Hooray for Annie McRae!
Author: Brad Wilcox
Illustrator: Julie Olson

Summary: Annie McRae is an energetic girl with red pigtails, blue torquoise cowboy boots and a big smile. She goes through each day getting cheered on by all of her family members and teacher which adds extra "zing into Annie's swing". But when Annie doesn't get cheered on by all of her family members she doesn't know what to do. So she decides she will just have to cheer for herself. This is a fun story with lots of description and fun sayings.
"Good Morning," Dad smiled over the wall of boxes Annie was building on the counter. "What kind of day is it going to be?" he asked playfully. "It's going to be a rip-roarin', corn-crackin' day" Annie Responded."

Ages: 4-10
Use to Teach: Adjectives/Description, Rhyming, Family, Positive Attitude, The Writing Process


The Flower Man
Author and Illustrator: Mark Ludy

Summary: This book is one of my favorites and is just a picture book. Through the pictures this story tells about a little old man who enters a dull and colorless city. He begins to "color" the city by sharing flowers with those around him and they share with others until the city has changed. The pictures are amazing in this book and each page tells many different stories by watching each different person in the book

Ages: Any child will enjoy the pictures but probably a little older to understand the story
Use to Teach: Love, Service, Kindness, Writing, Cause and Effect

2 comments:

  1. THIS IS SO GOOD! Much better than the other one I had on my blog. I am replacing it now! I love the bug theme. Very creative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I am a friend of your sister Kristen. I first saw this book when we had a relief society president change in our ward and this was given to the leaving president. I just love the story so I asked my family for it for Christmas. Gem!

    ReplyDelete