Wednesday, April 15, 2009

All the Places to Love


All The Places to Love
Author: Patricia Maclachlan
Illustrator: Mike Wimmer

Summary: A beautiful story of a little boy, Eli, who shares all the places that he and his family love. His mama carries him through the meadows and the hay fields, and his father takes him to the plowed fields, where the "soil is sweet". He catches boats at the river with his grandmother and watches the cows in the cool dark barn with his grandpa. He jumps from rock to rock in the woods, climbs the hill to pick berries with his mom and stops to watch the turtles in the marsh. After his little sister Sylvie is born he can't wait to share with her all the places to love. This book has beautiful description and beatiful artwork. It is sure to remind you of all the places you love especially those from your childhood. Young children will enjoy the pictures but there is quite a bit of text per page.

Ages: 5 and up
Use to teach: Writing Prompt, Adjectives/description, family

Someday I might live in the city. Someday I might live by the sea. But soon I will carry Sylvie on my shoulders through the fields; I will send her messages downriver in small boats; And I will watch her at the top of the hill, Trying to touch the sky. I will show her my favorite place, the marsh, Where ducklings follow their mother like tiny tumbles of leaves. All the places to love are here, I'll tell her, no matter where you live. Where else, I will say, does an old turtle crossing the path make all the difference in the world?

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I saw that earth day is going to be on the 22nd. We're going to do some activities that day, but if you have time to look, you could post some books about that. I guess your activities that you are doing sound like they may be earth day-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do a great job with your book bug synopsis'

    ReplyDelete